Do you suspect that you’ve got a furry intruder in your attic? Raccoons are sneaky and adaptive little critters, so it’s no wonder they’re nicknamed the ‘Masked Bandit.’ With their strong hand-like paws and sharp claws, they can make their way into your home fairly easily if potential access points are not secured.
Some signs that you may have a raccoon on your property include:
- Tracks in your yard
- Open and rummaged trash cans
- Animal droppings
- Scratched trees
- Seeing raccoons
Why My Home?
Man-made structures such as your home are ideal places for raccoons to not only hide from potential predators but brave the elements and protect their young. Your attic provides shelter with an easy way in and out, and the insulation is perfect for creating a soft nest. Chimneys are also quite popular with raccoons because they replicate tree hollows rather well when the vent is closed.
You may not realize it, but there are many potential access points into your home, especially from the roof. Take the following into consideration:
- Chimney: As mentioned earlier, a chimney is the perfect place for a family
of raccoons to make a den. Make sure to include exclusion mesh at the top to prevent trespassers.
- Vents: These are typically made out of wood, plastic or light metal like aluminum. Especially as they age, these materials weaken and can make you susceptible to animals.
- Roof-Soffit Intersections: Often, there is a gap where the soffit meets the roof. Raccoons can peel or pull this section back and squeeze their way into your attic.
- Plumbing Mats: The mats around the outside of plumbing vents can become weak and be torn apart by raccoon’s sharp claws.
- Eaves: Raccoons can make their way into your home by chewing or pulling back on the materials covering the bottom of eaves.
In order to prevent costly damage from a raccoon infestation, you’ll need to act quickly and efficiently. An inspection should be done at once to find any potential or compromised access points into your home and ensure there are no animals in the home before sealing it up. Critter Control® of Miami has been handling wildlife for decades and not only has the experience, but also the expertise to perform a quick, safe, and humane removal of raccoons from your home. Give us a call today at 305-258-3587 for a consultation and home inspection.